Recipe by Chef Graham Brown
- Rub the spice mix into the venison and heat the oil in the tagine.
- Brown the meat all over.
- Add the onion and cook until clear.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the coriander leaves and cover with lid.
- Turn down to a low heat and simmer for 1 hour on the stove, checking and stirring from time to time.
- When cooked, remove the lid and allow to cook for a further 10 minutes. This allows some of the liquid to evaporate and thicken.
- Add the coriander leaves just prior to serving with the accompaniments.
1 kg diced venison from shoulder or leg
2 Tbsp of vegetable oil
Two large tablespoons of Moroccan spice rub/ Harrissa
2 pinches of saffron threads
1/4 tspn turmeric
2 large onions diced
4 cloves crushed garlic
1 can, chopped, peeled tomatoes
½ cup dried apricots
½ cup blanched almonds
1 small chopped chilli pepper
1 Tbsp honey A little lemon zest or pickled lemon rind
1 tspn of mint
1 tspn parsley
2 cups meat stock
Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
Tomato cucumber salad; Thick yoghurt; Dried apricots; Fresh dates; Grilled eggplant; Cous cous with saffron threads.